Trailer Mechanic-Jacksonville Florida
This is a generic job posting for a Trailer Mechanic. Depending on the candidate's skills, qualifications and experience, they will be hired into an entry (C) level, intermediate (B) level or expert (A) level job and pay scale.
- Responsible for repairs and required preventive maintenance of trailing equipment (trailers and dollies)
- Inspect, trouble shoot, diagnose, and perform maintenance on equipment
- Perform safety inspections of equipment and prepares safety documents required by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), company and any other Federal, State or Local regulations
- Interpret work orders and technical manuals
- Repair, adjust and replace minor interior and exterior equipment components
- Test repaired equipment for proper performance and to ensure that the work meets manufacturer’s specifications and legislated regulations
- If qualified, maintain, replace, and adjust frame and suspension components, vehicle coupling components and air and brake systems
- If qualified, install, maintain and diagnose liftgate components
- Regular attendance is required.
- This is not an all-inclusive list of job requirements and/or duties and may not contain all mental and physical capabilities necessary to perform the job at all times due to circumstances. Operational, safety and other needs may require the employee to perform any and all other duties as assigned. Employees are expected, and must be able to perform all such duties and tasks.
- High School Diploma or General Educational Degree (GED), or any combination of education, which would provide an equivalent background
- 18 + years of age
- Must have a minimum of one-year experience to meet FHWA (Federal Highway Administration) requirements and/or completion of trade school; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Must be able to use hand tools and test equipment
- Must have own tools
- Must know general repairs and PM criteria
- Must possess the ability to keep up with changing technology and updates
- Possess mechanical ability and knowledge of electronics and precision equipment
- Must possess the strength and stamina required to work with heavy equipment and work in awkward positions
- Physical activities include: walking, lifting, twisting, turning, climbing a ladder, etc.
- A valid CDL and acceptable MVR are required if driving on public roads
- If a CDL holder, must be registered with the FMCSA Drug and Alcohol Clearinghouse
- Possess excellent verbal and written communication and listening skills
- Ability to maintain, replace, and adjust frame and suspension components and air and brake system components preferred
- Ability to install, maintain and diagnose liftgate components preferred
- Should be self-starting and organized
- Must possess a strong work ethic and good problem solving skills
- Must be willing to work any shift, including nights and weekends in any weather condition; flexible work schedule
- Must be able to lift approximately 70 lbs., or more if required by the essential functions of the job
- Must be able to comply with all company policies, rules, procedures and Code of Conduct
- Must be able to interact well with others
- Must be able to work independently, or in a team setting
- Must be capable of working under tight time constraints in a high volume environment with multiple priorities
- Responds well to questions; Ability to read, interpret and comply with written information and documents such as safety rules, operations / procedure manuals and maintenance instructions with a high comprehension and concentration level to include the ability to meet deadlines
- Must pass a pre-employment drug screen, random drug and/or alcohol tests, and will be subject to a criminal history background check
- Must be authorized to work in the United States
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to lift and/or move a minimum of 70 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to lift, twist, turn, and may climb. The employee is frequently required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to sit and climb or balance.Work Environment
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to work near moving mechanical parts and fumes or airborne particles.
The employee may be required to work in high/precarious places, with hazardous materials, and in various weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment ranges from quiet to loud as required by the essential functions of the job.
Equal Employment Opportunity
EOE, including disability/vets