Facilities Maintenance Supervisor
The Zoo is looking for a motivated self-starter who loves to troubleshoot challenges. In the Facilities Maintenance Supervisor role, you will maintain the Day-to-Day operations of the facilities department which includes oversight of repairs and maintenance of buildings, equipment, and utilities. Will require supervision of maintenance crew on in-house construction projects, repairs, or any additional duties as designated by the Director of Support Services. Will require independent judgment and discretion to ensure effective utilization of maintenance crew to complete assigned tasks and duties.
- Assist the Director of Support Services in the procurement of bids for maintenance equipment and materials purchased.
- Process invoices, enter the cost, and labor associated with facilities functions
- Maintain good inter-departmental reciprocity and management of inter-departmental morale.
- Supervision of all aspects of the maintenance department such as inventories, purchasing, and visitor conveniences.
- Assist Director of Support Services with, or perform as needed, department payroll approvals including time-off requests.
- Assist in the professional development and training of departmental personnel.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
College degree preferred, however; 5 years of applicable experience may be considered. High school diploma or GED required. 2 -3 yrs. of supervisory experience required. Proficiency in basic computer skills is required. Working knowledge of plumbing, HVAC, electric, and general repairs is required. Some experience in general construction and water filtration systems is preferred, but not required. Experience in the operation of heavy equipment operation is preferred. Must have a valid Driver’s License.
Candidates must have the ability to sit or stand for long periods of time, be able to bend, kneel, crawl, climb, jump and carry objects for short distances, be able to lift 50 pounds without difficulty, be able to traverse zoo grounds, and construction on foot, be able to work outdoors in weather conditions including heat, cold, wind and rain, operate a motorized cart and be able to effectively communicate with staff and guests. Must hold a valid driver’s license and be able to operate a motorized vehicle.
The Jacksonville Zoo and Gardens offer all full-time employees a competitive benefits package including medical, dental and life insurance for the employee, paid time off, 403B Retirement Plan, and discounts at the Zoo.
EOE / DRUG-FREE WORKPLACE
About Jacksonville Zoo & Gardens
Our mission is to foster understanding of the interaction of people, wildlife, and their environment by:
- Creating experiences that engage our guests
- Providing fun and innovative educational opportunities
- Funding operations, expansion, and programs through an entrepreneurial spirit with public and private partnerships
- Instilling passion in the next generation as responsible stewards of the future
“Inspiring discovery and appreciation of the Earth’s wildlife through innovative experiences in a caring environment.”
Awards & Recognition
For more than 100 years, we have tackled critical issues surrounding animal and plant conservation, inspired appreciation of wildlife, and delivered educational curriculum through innovative experiences. We are proud to be recognized both on a local and national level as a leader in education and conservation of the world's plants and animals.
AZA Accredited For More Than 30 Years
Since 1987, Jacksonville Zoo and Gardens has been an accredited AZA member. The accreditation process includes a detailed application and a meticulous on-site inspection by a team of trained zoo and aquarium professionals. The inspecting team observes all aspects of the organization’s operations, including animal care and welfare; keeper training; visitor, staff and animal safety, educational programs; conservation initiatives; veterinary programs; financial stability; risk management; and more. AZA accreditation is valid for five years and then the accreditation process is repeated to ensure all standards and best practices are being upheld. Accreditation standards are updated every year.